Friday, February 10, 2012

"How do we make sense out of something like this?"

A couple of months ago my wife's second cousin, young, beautiful mom was killed in a traffic accident. I was asked by a few folks "How do we make sense out of something like this?"


The only way I know is to return to what I know to be true....that God is good. As people who think primarily about the 'here and know' we are always looking to 'explain' why things happen....And it seems that when something good happens we are quick to call it 'a blessing' from God but when something bad happens we are quick to blame Him. The truth is, we live in a world where good things happen to 'bad' people and bad things happen to 'good' people and we have to live with that, hard as it is.

What makes life tolerable for me in the light of all the 'nonsensical' things that happen is I trust in God and His goodness. I believe that because He has been and will always be eternally good He can't stop doing good for us and that if something 'bad' happens, something that we would rather not see or have to go through, we have to trust He will bring something good out of the situation that we can't see right now. While I don't believe God 'caused' this tragedy I do believe He has a plan in it, a good plan. Maybe He wanted to show Himself to the family in way He hasn't been able to before, maybe He wanted to work out some healing or reconciliation that wasn't going to happen before, or maybe He just wanted to bring those most affected closer to Him than they have been before.


He tells us in the book of Isaiah that His ways and thoughts are higher than ours....That being said, in light of His goodness, I choose to trust Him...It's all I can do.


2 comments:

  1. I will be a follower of your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In 1973, my newborn daughter died... Too early, I asked all the why's, where are you God, and all the questions. But God was there.... In 1985,my new born son died, born too early, I didn't ask the questions, I just let Him draw me close and hold me and teach me the depths of his ways. Indeed God was there. In 2007 my oldest son died, he was 34.....I struggled, but I never failed to know God was there.......8 months after he died his wife gave birth to this wonderful little boy, who is JUST like his Dad.....their first born....and indeed once again...God was there, and is there each and everyday... I never have to question... Because of this joy of knowing he is always there.
    Robbi Proffitt

    ReplyDelete